George Edward Clerk (1815-1875) was a prominent Montreal Catholic and editor of that City’s True Witness and Catholic Chronicle. A Scottish Canadian who had a bright and inquisitive mind, Clerk accepted Bishop Bourget’s challenge to launch an English-speaking Catholic newspaper. His service of the written word lives on as the Canadian Catholic Historical Association presents the George Edward Clerk Award, awarded bi-annually, for outstanding contributions to Catholic history.
The award is made on the basis of one or more of the following criteria:
- Excellence in writing or researching the history of Catholics and the Catholic Church.
- Service to the administration of the CCHA/SCHEC.
- Excellence in the field of Catholic archives or teaching Catholic history.
The selection committee asks you to send in a name you would like to nominate for the Clerk Award 2018. The recipient will be honoured with the Clerk Medallion which will be presented at the annual CCHA dinner on 30 May 2018 at the University of Regina.
To submit a nomination, please download the 2018 Clerk Award nomination form and return it to the chair of the nominations committee, Dr. Robert Dennis, by 1 February 2018, either by e-mail or postal mail.
- Download the nomination form (.docx)
- Send your completed nomination to Dr. Robert Dennis, nominations committee chair, by 1 February 2018 at:
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Postal mail:
Dr. Robert Dennis
Department of Religious Studies
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 4P3